My Way of Living + Time

Mailbag Time : On Mistaken Identities , BDM 102, Gay Handles, and the Timex Run

Ever since I put the mailbag up, I have been pleasantly surprised with the creative input (or absolute crap, it's a love/hate relationship) you guys have been sending in. Haven't really had the time to compile this, but here is more or less what's fit for print :P I also just realized how many people named "Anonymous" hate my work. Haha kidding. Okay maybe just a little bit.

So here goes!

Q: I was hanging out at ULTRA with Sam the Running Ninja when some dude with a camera asks for a picture. I say, sure why not. As I'm about to pose, he promptly hands me the camera, to have his photo taken with Running Ninja dude. I have to admit, my feelings are hurt. What should I do?

- Cris S.

GBM : The solution is simple - stop hanging out with Sam! You don't even have a fighting chance. How many Men's Health appearances have you made? Sam 1, Cris o. Alas, that's the plight we have in the current running scene. Despite winning this year's Milo Nationals, a recent poll I ran showed only 1% would recognize you walking down the street, and that was probably Sam who voted. Heck, even I don't know how you look like, only because by the time I finish a race you're already done eating your post-race breakfast. We need to increase the public profile of elite runners like you, to serve as inspiration to a new generation of runners amidst the current boom. So if you need a comprehensive PR campaign to increase your public profile, you know which Gingerbread person to call... ..

Cris Sabal not likey Running Nin ja dude

Q : Why do you call yourself Gingerbreadman anyway? It sounds so gay.

- Anonymous

GBM : Um, because I like to stimulate those who actually read this, leaving a trail of thought for them to chew on - like gingerbread crumbs. Nice eh? Oh lord how I wish it was that profound. Sadly, I chose the handle because I could mimic the whiny voice of good ol' Gingerbreadman from the Shrek series. Busted, demystified. Hmm.Come to think of it, does sound a little gay... .

He's wearing a thong!

Q : So what IS your Zodiac sign?
- Paula S.

GBM : I'm a Libra, and my balanced, reasonable persona is telling me to never ever again implore people to ask your Zodiac sign. Unless you want to answer the same question over... and over... . and over again :P So this is how Dingdong must have felt when he ditched Karylle for Marian and had to pony up to the press.

We're just friends. We're just friends. We're just friends.

Q: I've been hearing about this Bataan Death March Run. How do we join?Are you running?
- Karlo A.

GBM : Hmm. It may be a wee bit more than a "run" my friend. It's actually officially known as the Bataan Death March 102k Ultramarathon, and obviously it is not for the faint of heart. Slots are not guaranteed, as applicants need to have at least completed a marathon or ultramarathon in the past As of today, there are already 132 registered applicants , and in response to your question yes I am going to temporarily lose my sanity for at least 18 hours on March 6th. If you need more info, go to Bald Runner's dedicated site on the race here.

In honor of these brave souls... and it will not be easy.
Q. Reading through the Takbo.ph forums, it seems you had a bone to pick with the Timex Run. You said it was expensive, etc. I ran it and thought it was the best race I ever ran this year. Sulit. Wala ka bang bilib kay Coach Rio?
- David L.

A. David, it's not that I have a bone to pick with Coach Rio. I have the highest respect for his body of work, his mainstream persona as one of the faces of running, and I have always looked forward to his races even before the Finishline era. Like most people, I had felt that the race was overpriced. I mean, P750 for a 21k? Seriously? With no differentiating factor save for a timing chip and Piolo's presence? (and that isn't exactly a come-on for hot blooded dudes like me) But if you were closely monitoring those conversations, my buddy Bong Z. gave a stellar argument - if you were only running 1 race a month, one would be willing to drop that kind of cash if there was the assurance that it would be executed to world-class standards and there would be so many value added elements to it. In an open market system people are entitled to choose the commodity as long as there is strong value perception involved regardless of premium pricing.

Of course, Coach Rio would later clarify on Run Radio why he had to price it that high, and he essentially reassured the public that he would be pulling out all the stops for this... .. and that's precisely what happened. Word on the street is that from a technical standpoint, it was smooth and well-thought out top to bottom. Sir Amado Castro even went as far as saying the race was " the standard of race events that future races will be compared and critiqued". Boatloads of value added goodies like post- race massages and quick results never hurt either. The most accurate barometer here is that I did not hear a single negative comment from both experienced and newbie runners. Congratulations to Coach Rio, Vince, and the rest of the organizing team, awesome job. With the naysayers (myself included) jaded from the recent spate of horrible races, this comes as a whiff of much-needed fresh air to the community. Only thing I didn't like about this race is the revalation that... . I eat Piolo's dust. *picks up ego from floor* (x_x)

Kudos to these two, they delivered!
Q. I noticed you don't have any Google ads, why not? Sayang naman. May site din kasi ako, may pumapasok din kahit papaano. Try mo din Adbrite bro. Keep up the good work btw.
- Arnel C.
A. Thanks for the kind words Arnel! The reason I don't have Google Ads is because of the site's name. Dahil dun sa "Gingerbread", a portion of the ads they run have a lot to do with baking equipment, ingredients, etc. Ang sagwa, so tinanggal ko na lang! I just think of it that it would help make the site less cluttered.

Q. That pic on your "About Gingerbread Man" page, is that in Pearl Farm? I could have sworn it is.

- Kaye S.
A. Hi Kaye, yes it actually is! Was nice to run there, even for a bit. Davao is a very beautiful place.

Okay everyone, that's all the time we have for this week's mailbag! Join in the fun and send your comments, inputs, and suggestions, reactions at the field on our home page or through this button. Will look forward to it! -


health, Inspiration, life and running, marathon, massage, race, RUN, running, and more:

Mailbag Time : On Mistaken Identities , BDM 102, Gay Handles, and the Timex Run + Time