My Way of Living + Photography

The best one for catching the sunrise
Early morning at the beach alone with just the camera

The air is sooty dark, chilled with frost, and I am standing alone at the farthest edge of the pier.
Trying to catch the sun before it's rises from the water.
Nothing but the seagulls, and the wide frigid water around me.
There are no other walkers around yet, no sharp elbowed, Energizer bunnies, carrying soy lattes as they glide by skimming the promenade, like seagulls perusing garbage in the parking lots.
There has been a man standing on the beach who is watching me making me uncomfortably aware of how vulnerable I am.
Staring, for the last half hour.
I scan down the long pier to the far away beach, hoping to see that someone other than us might be foolish enough to be out on this icy, dark morning.
The man starts to edge closer to me, walking slowly on the slippery pier.
My heart beats faster, why didn't I get a cell phone.
He looks determined, threatening.
I wonder if I can use my camera and tripod to defend myself if I need to?
A tinge of regret goes through my mind, if I damage the camera what will I use to shoot the sunrise?
Finally I decide I am not going to wait for him to come to me, I will walk right towards him, and should he make a move, I will swing.
Hard!
And if I damage my camera, well…maybe I won't wreck my camera.
I set off, determination giving me courage. We meet halfway down the pier, I look beyond him for a split second, surely there must be someone…there is no one.
I tense, clutching the tripod at a awkward angle.
Mentally thinking, bring it on.

A early morning photography session at the beach and being approached by a man www.muddybootdreams

He comes toward me, and I stare him directly in the eyes.
His reaction?
He merely smiles and wishes me a cheery"good morning".
And then he says to me,"do you mind if I use your spot, it's the best one for catching the sunrise."
I'm floored…so much so that I miss the sunrise that morning.
But somehow I don't seem to mind.

Blog, Light, and more:

The best one for catching the sunrise + Photography