My Way of Living + Time

Nostalgic for tapioca
Paint chips-1780

I’ve been spending time on Pinterest lately, down loading recipes with anticipation of cooler weather and winter setting in. Might as well get started on the cold weather insulation early, well that’s my thought process. When was the last time you had tapioca? Did anyone tell you it was really frogs eggs, and did you ever eat it again? It’s certainly a common tale, being told tapioca is made from frogs eggs, it’s a love it or hate it kind of dessert. My Mom was a real tapioca kind of Mom, she must have made it at least once a week. We ate it swimming in maraschino cherry juice, the cherry in the middle making it look like a desert island. Yes, that was the gourmet version of the 70’s, along with jello salads, and tang and I haven’t had any for decades.

untitled shoot-0683

I must be feeling nostalgic because I decided to make some with giant tapioca balls the other night, they are anything but instant, needing to be soaked for at least a hour before you make the dish. I entertained myself by watching Bootsie chasing down a giant tapioca ball the length of the kitchen, moving like a black blur, tail in air, and cat bouncing along. He was so cute I thought he would like some more to chase, which was great until someone stepped on them with their bare feet which was rather painful. It’s all fun and tapioca until someone gets hurt.

MBD OK sunsets-1510

I am still searching for the childhood favourite recipe for chocolate covered cornflakes, and shredded coconut drop no bake cookies. I remember them from my childhood, boiling the chocolate syrup, mixing in the cornflakes, and the coconut, and then burning our fingers when we snitched a taste.

MBD OK sunsets-1543

They were so good, I would love to have that recipe… Anything from your childhood desert list that you are nostalgic for? Sweet memories……

Day, the thought process, and more:

Nostalgic for tapioca + Time