My Way of Living + Visual

Give the ocean a hug for me

The ocean, the one thing I

5-untitled-1210

knew for sure I would miss when I moved from the water of the West Coast of British Columbia where I grew up to the interior of BC. Homesickness is a funny thing when you find yourself living where you have wanted to be for so long, but it’s been a year and a half, and I still miss the ocean, I always will.

14. Crescent Beach bay

Unless you have lived by the ocean, you can’t imagine the lushness of the undergrowth, the salty tang of the ocean air. The cry of the gulls, as they circle, and the lashing of the angry waves on the beach when a storm is coming.

2-untitled-1133

It’s the ability to see further than your eye can focus, a never ending horizon of misty grey water, punctuated by sea birds, and maybe a seal if you are extremely lucky.

3-untitled-1143

My link to the ocean isn’t as weak as you would assume now that I live 5 hours away… it’s there in my memories, in my heart, in my photos that bring it to life when I look at them again. There is salt water is in my veins it’s been in my life from the time I was born, it will never go away. I keep it touch with the ocean through those who blog and live near the water, it’s sandy beaches so grey, but skies so blue.

4-untitled-1191

And if you live near the ocean please do me a favour, go and visit one cool spring day, stand on the sand, let the wind coat you with salt, a scent that will linger even after you go home. Open your arms wide as you face the water. And give the ocean a hug for me.

Blog, Boot, and more:

Give the ocean a hug for me + Visual