My Way of Living + Visual

Almond joy and plant lust
1-Flowering Almond-3720

It’s such a pretty shrub and to think that until we moved here I had never seen one. There are a few in the neighbourhood, the lovely soft pink confectionary-like blossoms remind me of tufts of cotton candy. It’s called flowering almond Prunus triloba, and it’s hardy to zone 3. I need more then one, I think I need three… at least. That’s plant lust, the gotta have it, I don’t care what it costs feeling a gardener gets when they see something new, or on their list.

2-Flowering Almond-3722

I remember fern leaf peonies first being introduced at the garden center, they were beautiful but even 10 years later at $50 per gallon sized plant, that’s expensive. There were Jack Frost, Brunnera that were easily $45 each because they were a new introduction. My plant budgets have always been limited so I usually buy my perennials small and watch them grow. And I am always kind of excited when a hydrangea takes root, to me it’s like a free plant. I divide my Hosta’s in the fall and they are busy growing in the backyard filling up the new beds my husband made me.

3-Flowering Almond-3726

Along with the lily of the valley that really does spread like a weed, a few hydrangea’s, white daisies, and day lilies galore. I need plants that are tough, and will survive the hot summers, and cold winters here. Plants are not cheap anymore, probably they never were… but by dividing, and propagating, which isn’t a lot of work, I can get a full garden, and still have room in my plant budget for other things.

4-Flowering Almond-3730

What’s the most expensive plant you have ever bought? Did it survive for a long time? Was it worth it?

5-Flowering Almond-3731

And the biggest question, would you buy it again or was it a regret?

Boot, RUN, and more:

Almond joy and plant lust + Visual