My Way of Living + Visual

Hot chick-a-leekie soup for cold days
Chick a leekie soup

The poor thermostat in this house, it goes up, it goes down, and then it goes up again.
I’m cold, he’s hot, and the Boo, well lets just say he hangs out where the heat is.
It’s cold here, inside and out. We have a different idea of what a comfortable indoor temperature consists of… so I bundle up, and he sweats, that way both of us are happy to complain how hot/cold it is to the other.
To stay warm I make sure to layer well, walk outside when the weather permits, drink lots of hot tea, and make tasty homemade soups.
On a cold day, hot soup tastes really good.

Chick a leekie soup fresh

Anything that warms you up when your toes are freezing is great.
You can thank Dr.Oz for being the inspiration behind this quick, and easy soup that I made the other day.
He mentioned how good it is to drink a glass of water, with lemon, grated ginger, and a dash of cayenne pepper in it. Supposed to do everything from make your wrinkles disappear, to get your heart racing, or something, I am not sure, it’s Dr. Oz what can I say.
That got me to thinking of soup, I don’t know how… it just did.
I put together some homemade chicken broth, you could use prepared one if you liked. A cooked chicken breast, leeks, carrots, potatoes, ginger, lemon, garlic, and cayenne.
After sautéing the thinly sliced [wash them well] leeks, and half of a onion, and the garlic, in a little dash of butter, I added the carrots, and potatoes cut into small bite size chunks.
This is called sweating the veggies, and brings out the flavours… just imagine how tasty my hot husband is when the thermostat creeps up past 18C. That’s 64 F barely above freezing for my US friends…

Chick a leekie soup lemons

I heated up the broth, added almost tender veggies to it, squeezed in some lemon, grated some ginger, and added a careful dash of cayenne pepper for seasoning.
It’s a delicate tasting soup full of flavour, layered with good for you heat.
And it saves you money on your heating bill, because hot chick-a-leekie soup will warm you from the inside out. Give it a try, just don’t go too heavy on the cayenne pepper unless you are taste testing as you go along, that stuff packs a punch.
Here’s the recipe, kind of, I’m not just a seat of your pants blogger, I’m a no recipe kind of girl too. I’m always making up recipes on the fly, by imagining how the ingredients would taste together.

Chick a leekie soup in bowl

Chick-a-leekie soup
3 cups chicken broth
1 chicken breast cooked, cut into strips, or cubes, or you could either sauté it before the veggies, or boil it in the broth.
1 leek, washed, thinly sliced
1 potato cut into bite size chunks
1 carrot cut into bite size chunks
1/2 cooking onion
1 inch of fresh ginger, finely grated
2 cloves of fresh garlic
juice of half a fresh lemon, or less to taste
dash or so of cayenne pepper to taste
Sauté veggies, onion, leeks, and garlic in olive oil, or butter until almost tender. Add chicken breast cook one to two minutes to heat. Add to heated chicken broth, stir in grated ginger, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for a few minutes until veggies are tender, and flavours have meshed. Serve hot and prepare to feel toasty.

MBD Posting days

Blog, Boot, cooking, dash, HAPPY, Home, Inspiration, Seasons, and more:

Hot chick-a-leekie soup for cold days + Visual