My Way of Living + Light

If winter tarries too long, make your own spring
4-2009 05 11 006

The gardener in me being ever the optimist, I am celebrating the fact that we didn’t move up here to the “frozen north, or land of endless skies” until the beginning of December last year. Winter tarries long here, holding on with icy fingers, and giving in begrudgingly to spring. Whenever spring is coming… there that’s the realist in me. By moving here in the middle of winter, we shortened the time I have to live without green things growing, at least for the first year. Who knows what I am going to do next winter, make my own spring I guess.

5-2009 05 11 012

Down on the coast there are crocus blooming, there are BUDS on the branches, GREEN BUDS! And yes that was all capital letters, it was required by the gardener in me. So who’s whining, not me, it’s just that gardener chick that lives inside of me.

1-2009 06 09 043

Winter is tarrying, taking it’s sweet time, hanging out, flirting with us, giving us the occasional day of warmer above 0 temperatures, and then snatching it back with a vengeance. They are predicting –12 C this week. That’s pretty cold if you can’t do the conversion. In fact when we lived in White Rock, that would be “alarm bells” cold. Seriously cold, as in ice half way up the windows of the condo kind of cold, but we are made of sterner stuff now, and this house has better insulation.

3-2009 05 11 357

In a recent trip to the “big city” of Kelowna, I noticed that the closer we got to the city, the less snow there was. It’s kind of hard to admit that my sister [she who knows houses] was right, and they do get less snow there then we do. In fact Kelowna was brown, while here it’s white. It’s white, snowy fluffy stuff everywhere, including my garden.

6-2009 05 11 055

Which has the gardener chick in me wringing her hands, and worrying if spring will ever come. Well that’s fine, I have over 30,000 photos on my hard drive, and most of them are flowers, I can print them out and plaster the house with them should I so choose… so take that winter!

Blog, and more:

If winter tarries too long, make your own spring + Light