My Way of Living + Visual

Urban crossings
Urban street crosswalk

“Got ‘em” I say, “slow down a bit.”
I’m following my husband.
We are walking on the sidewalk.
I’m hiding my camera under my open coat.
I’ve just clicked a shot of a person crossing the street a little further away.
I feel like I am a sitting/walking duck.
The bright red, and black strap of this Canon DSLR seems to scream “steal this expensive camera from this woman.”
It’s the almost big city.
Really not that big.
I’m very uncomfortable doing this.

Urban shop

Why?
Because I am worried that someone is going to say something, do something, grab my camera and run. Yell, point at me, get mad because I am taking their picture without asking?
This isn’t the best part of this town, the people asking for handouts seem to outnumber those able to give. It’s contained to a few blocks radius that normally I avoid, but we need to go to a store in the area, and I can’t resist taking some shots.
What do I think will happen if someone sees me pointing a camera at them, or a building?
I really don’t know, but I know it’s good for me to do this. Comfort zones and all that, I also know that if I was in a bigger city I wouldn’t feel so out of place. Or if I was using a camera phone, no one would look twice. It’s the long lens, the big camera, the expensive words woven into the strap.

Urban lines black and white

The desire to record what I see is stronger then the worry, and the sun glinting off of bright shiny signs glows softly in the midday.
I’m already processing the shots in my mind as I click.
I wish that I had more nerve to capture exactly what I see in the faces downtown, but I feel like I might be prying, so I don’t. Privacy in public is a contentious issue, and I am not sure of the rules.

Urban Street windows

There is a great article here called 100 strangers… it makes me want to wander the streets and ask… can I take your picture? But I don’t have the nerve… yet either.
One day I will do this, I promise myself.
Until then, I walk with a false nonchalance through the sidewalks, stopping occasionally to click, steadying my hand from shaking from a set of nerves that really shouldn’t be there.

Urban shots missing poster

These are not trees, mountains, flowers, not my usual subjects, but oh do they capture my imagination. You may or may not enjoy these shots, they are buildings, reflections, metal railings, vehicles, dogs, and yes, people.
They make me feel like I am exposed, transparent, standing out when I am shooting.
But it also makes me feel alive, and creative, it’s pushing my skills, creativity, my eye.
And that is what it’s all about, isn’t it, if you don’t face a challenge, how will you grow?

MBD Posting days

Boot, Photography, RUN, and more:

Urban crossings + Visual