My Way of Living + Things

Tickled Pink

White Rock, for all it's beauty, is a tiny place. We have the ocean, and the beach, and they are wonderful. But we don't seem to have a lot of large parks. Land is at a premium here, and obviously it cannot be manufactured.
We do have some small parks, and they are gems. I try to make it a habit of visiting them regularly.One of my favorites is a long, rectangular, hilly, half acre. Half way up, there is a beautiful rock garden, this is usually the same spot that I come to the conclusion that I had better do some more hill climbing in my walks. Not really out of breath, just slightly winded. It is a relatively steep path. And my camera is getting heavier all the time. It's a good excuse to stop, and enjoy the flower garden. Lately it has not looked so good, maintenance has been cut back to the bare minimum. Weeds are starting to overtake the gardens. I came around the corner and there was a huge clump of Autumn Crocus. Lush and well established. Colchicum are not related to crocus at all, they are a member of the lily family. The bulbs are such prolific bloomers, that they will even bloom in the box at the nursery. The flowers appear in the cooler fall temperatures, and leaves come up in the spring, fading with the summer heat. Easy to grow, just give them a well drained, sunny location.
It was good to see the Colchicum, and know that even though the gardens are being neglected, there always is something that manages to bloom.

family, Garden, Nature, Performance, Seasons, and more:

Tickled Pink + Things