My Way of Living + Things

More gardening hints

Before I took the Readers Digest book of Gardening Secrets back to the library I found some more great hints.
TOMATOES: Bury a banana peel at the bottom of the hole when planting tomatoes. It makes a great slow release fertilizer, high in potassium. Just the thing for when you have urban raccoons running around at midnight splashing in your water features. Every week or so crush eggshells in a blender and add them to water for your tomatoes. About 6 shells per litre/quart should do it. Extra calcium aids in the growth of leaf tips, and prevents blossom end rot. And it you have ever had blossom end rot, well you know what a waste of a good tomato that is. Also I think I should clarify here, make sure you clean blender out well before making your smoothies, unless you want to call them crunchies. Every week add 1 tsp of Epsom salts to 4 litres water, tomatoes love to have a good soak. So do I, but in my tub. I also read somewhere, add 1 tbsp of mollasas to 4 litres of water, and water weekly during fruit rippening period for sweeter tomatoes.

Garden, Performance, RUN, running, and more:

More gardening hints + Things