My Way of Living + Style

Oh Twisty Baby
2010 05 06 002

I’m in love, I’m in love, I’m in love! We are gardeners, we fall in love, we fall out of love, and yes, we long for certain plants. Sometimes it’s a unrequited love, a love that spans decades, until finally one fateful day, the two of you meet in a crowed nursery/airport,… Wait, that’s Casablanca isn’t it? I’ve never seen it, but that’s my version of what it’s like to have a love of a plant and so rarely meet up with a good looking specimen. That’s specimen, as in a really beautifully shaped plant, not anything else. This IS a family friendly blog you know. NO hanky panky going on here! I must admit to being in love with more then one tree, at a time. Shameful of me, yes I know, but I am a gardener. We have big hearts.

2010 05 06 004

I am in love with Cercis canadensis Redbud. Forest Pansy. And I have always been in love with this tree. But I have never been able to justify the cost of one, nor have I seen one suitably sized for container growing. But for the last few years, my heart has also longed for another. Yes, Cerscis canadensis covey “lavender twist.” And OH MY, am I smitten, head over heels, dizzy, and breathless, in love. These photos are of the only tree I have ever encountered in bloom. EVER! I am sure they are out there, I have just never, ever seen them for sale. Do you understand how I feel about this? Deep, unrequited love. It’s a love that might be forbidden, imagine the extreme hot, and cold climate of the Okanagan, and a tree that needs lots of water. It’s just not meant to be.

2010 05 06 001

The best thing about this particular tree at the nursery? It didn’t have a price tag. I can dream big dreams, and fall in love with it, all because it doesn’t have a price tag. Thank you nursery worker for forgetting to price this tree, and not popping my bubble. It would be perfect, life would be perfect, if only. Jane

Blog, family, Garden, Inspiration, and more:

Oh Twisty Baby + Style