My Way of Living + Style

I got the shot

I was out taking flower shots on one of our last sunny days before the week of monsoon rain that is coming, and I found some crocus blooming. Now, I am kind of a “do not trespass” photographer, I have this sense of decorum drilled into me from childhood. Be nice, smile and great people you see on the street, and never, ever trespass on other peoples lawns. And never ever walk in the flower beds, no matter what. No matter if the absolute best clump of early spring blooming crocus is just a little too far in the bed to focus on. That’s certainly not a excuse to step into the beds uninvited. Never ever. Anything you can shoot from the side walk is fair game, as long as you don’t step onto the front lawns without permission. That’s just how I work. Too many years in the garden center watching as careless customers and swinging purses destroyed beautiful blooms. So to get these shots of the crocus, I had to be a little creative. There was a clump of heather blooming too close to the crocus for the camera to focus. So all 6 feet of me, [that’s a lot of photographer] had to crumple up at the edge of the bed, and gently swish back the heather. Poking the camera into the heather, which by the way doesn’t hurt it at all, and aiming from the nicely warmed dirt up, I shot blind. That is I shot without being able to see where my camera was focusing. And actually, I think that they turned out pretty good. Hmmmm, maybe I am on to something, a snails eye view of flowers.

Inspiration, Photography, and more:

I got the shot + Style