My Way of Living + travel

Fun Times at ABS- CBN : The PIM Race Kit Saga

I rarely write about these things, just because I try to avoid them as much as possible. But with the Philippine International Marathon already commencing tomorrow, I guess I had no choice but to troop over and get my singlet over at Kapamily a land in faraway Mother Ignacia, Quezon City.

I've been hearing some initial horror stories already, how the singlets were not delivered to ROX as promised, how much of a hassle the people from the South would have to go through just to go to ABS, et. al. I heard that Sam had engaged the organizers in some animated banter (okay, maybe more than animated) over the distribution of race kits for the Takbo.ph/Team Logan 42k relay team.

Apparently, it was causing a logisitical nightmare for everyone. End line solution was, to those who couldn't get it today a BIG tent would be set up very early tomorrow morning before the race. For the 42k people, that means um, 3 am. And we all know how pre-race distribution works out right?Right?

All of that notwithstanding, I was advised to go back Saturday morning for my race kit. So I got there at about 10:30, and this is the scene that met me :

So early, and yet there was a line already. Hot and humid , tempers were flaring already. Some conversations overheard from random people :

"Bad trip to, sabi sa ROX wala naman, Taga Laguna pa kaya kami akala ninyo madali!"

"Anong generic bib pinagsasabi ninyo? Ibig sabihin isusulat lang number namin???"

"Kaya nga ako tumatakbo para pangpatanggal ng stress, mas nasestress ako dito!"

"Nagcommute ako galing Paranaque, di daw mahanap ung sa akin. Pano na yan???"

!@#$$ Mga singlet namin!!So amidst the gripes and the tension, a very courteous staffer took my claim stub and took it upon himself to look for my singlet. Problem was, everything was off the floor. Which makes it... . harder.

If it's off the floor, it must be good!

Observing the staffers though (not sure if they're from RACE or ABS) , most of them were doing an admirable job amidst the flaring tempers. As a live case study on grace under pressure, most of them kept their nerve and still observed general, proactive courtesy even if people were screaming at their faces.

More random conversations with the people I was in line with :

Random Person : Sana andiyan ang race kit ko, tumakas lang ako sa misis ko sabi ko magpapacarwash lang. GBM: Ahh. San ho ba kayo umuuwi?RP: Sa Alabang... GBM: !!!!
Twenty minutes later, the guy finally handed me my singlet and race kit. I heard the singlets for the longer distances were nice. So imagine my complete and utter shock when I saw the 10k singlet, a result of what I think was a logistical rush to just get it over and done with. Done by Tin's Collection, I hereby put forth for your perusal my nominee for Most Unappetizing Singlet Of The Year :

Escaping from my wife was worth... . the singlet with no print in front.

At least there's a cute patch on the back... .

Hottest tailor of the season... .
Not that I would mind, I never wear it to the race anyway. But woe to the people who traveled from Laguna, or Paranaque, excited to get their singlets and receiving this piece of fabric that quite frankly only its tailor could love.

So after 45 minutes, my PIM/Kapamilya visit was over. Sub 50, not that bad. Now let's see how tomorrow unravels. Good luck everyone, and I hope you're all not too stressed to enjoy the race.

Quote of the Day :

"Ginawa mo naman akong SM saleslady eh!"
- Stern, boss-looking organizer to someone fussing over singlet size

HOPE, life and running, marathon, race, Time, and more:

Fun Times at ABS- CBN : The PIM Race Kit Saga + travel