My Way of Living + RUN

Free to be… a bug

How did I go from being a diligent bug zapper to a Zen bug lover, I’m not sure?
It’s all about bugs, slugs, spiders, ants, weevils, and all the other creepy crawlers. The really, bad guys that eat your hostas, leaving them lacy and ugly.
Problem is, I can no longer care if they are good guys, or bad guys, I either leave them alone, or relocate them to another garden. I just can’t bring myself to kill them anymore. Each one has a life, it may not be any more complex then “eat Jane’s hosta.” EAAAAAATTT!
Or it may be that their goal is to catch all of the bad guys, like the spidy that lives behind the wall fountain by our patio door. Did I mention it’s a great big hairy, scary, spider.
It all started with him. [And no, there will be no pictures of great big scary spiders on this blog, it’s a spider free blog, don’t worry.]
Gar feeds him the crane flies that show up in late August, “he’s a growing boy.”
Huge, honking big guy. One that I had to pass by each time I wanted access to my garden.
I am not a fan of spiders, but gradually I am teaching myself not to scream a ghastly ear splitting screech every time I run into one. I instead prefer to jump, and run, high tailing it for the safety of a closed patio door.
Yes, I’m some gardener.
I don’t mind the slugs, and those cutesy, wootsie little snails, they get picked up with a tissue if they are slugs, and thrown into the compost bin. Where I suppose I hope they can eat until their heart’s content.
Our patio is peppered with black ants, who have a truce with us, and are smart enough not to break it, they don’t come inside the patio, we don’t squish them. Hey it works. You should see me outside the deck, doing the 6 foot tall, gangling two step, in order to not squish any of them. It’s well worth the giggle. Add in a water hose, and “oh boy” we are having a hoe down tonight, the neighbours love it.
There goes Jane, watering the ants again” they say.
So Zen… it’s OK with me, nothing in life is perfect, and I guess my leaves are a little lacier then others, but I’m OK with that.
If however you don’t like to garden like that, my next post will have a few organic ideas on pest prevention.

Blog, Garden, goals, HOPE, Light, and more:

Free to be… a bug + RUN