My Way of Living + Time

The baking soda experiment, and homemade weed killers

Does it work? Read on, and find out. I found something interesting on the Internet the other day that claimed Baking Soda is good for killing weeds. According to it, all you had to do to be weed free forever practically was sprinkle some of the sparkly white powder on the weeds and voila!

Does baking soda kill weeds?

Will Baking Soda control weeds?
Years of overexposure to chemicals at Garden Centers has left me unable to tolerate any household cleaners or pesticides, I am giving baking soda a try. It's a great natural cleaner for using around the house, clearing drains. Nice to know that you can use it for more then just cleaning. Handfuls of baking soda can be sprinkled into the cracks of the driveway and apparently the salt in the baking soda will kill the weeds… we will see. Will let you know in a few weeks how it does. I’ve used vinegar with a bit of dish soap [to make it stick to the weed] in a spray bottle but you must use caution when spraying it. Some people add salt to the mix, but remember vinegar, and salt will both sterilize the soil, along with killing any good micro organisms, making it difficult for anything to grow there for a long time.

2-Gardens-0285

That’s great for driveways, but not so great for the lawn. And did I learn that lesson after we tried to get rid of all the dandelions in the lawn. Spraying them on a hot sunny day did wonders, they wilted quickly, but after they died back there were large yellow patches of dead grass, no matter how careful I was when spraying. So it’s back to hand pulling the weeds from the lawn, although it seems the Dandelions have had their day, and they are not so prolific now. Every weed has it’s season I guess. Weeding…
And here's the update…you know I really gave this a go. I tried, and I really truly wanted it to work, but I have to say in my opinion, in my climate it's a bust. But that said, I think that I will give it a try again this summer. Meanwhile I have switched to a commercial organic weed killers for the front lawn dandelions, and I will let you know how that goes.

Day, Garden, and more:

The baking soda experiment, and homemade weed killers + Time