My Way of Living + Time

Hub caps, Highways, and power outages
3-local kitties-0431

Yesterday was a full day of running around, and a long trip to the “big city.” The hour + trip seems more difficult because it’s all Highway driving. Some places you are between a rock and a wet place, there is a big lake on one side, and a mountain on the other side, rather treacherous, windy road. You have to pay attention, there are vehicles, and construction going on as they try to upgrade the highway. In January there was a rather surprised driver, and his passengers who had a very large boulder falling onto his vehicle, narrowly missing them, now that’s a story worth reading.

4-local kitties-0415

We were driving down the Highway plugging along, when a oncoming vehicle lost a large hubcap. It was wheeling right down the center line towards my vehicle at a pretty fast clip, determined to hit our right front end, and inflict as much damage as possible.

1-local kitties-0447

Lot’s of things go through your mind when you see that happening, “there’s a hubcap, it’s coming right at us, it’s going to hit us. There is a huge retaining wall on my passengers side, there are oncoming vehicles on my drivers side… ” Suddenly my Sister yells “hubcap.” Yep that’s one coming right at us, I am thinking. I know it takes only seconds, but time seems to stand still. There wasn’t much I could do, so I braked enough to slow down, and then kept going. Apparently we skidded slightly, winter tires are pretty soft. It just missed us… she saw it hit the retaining wall. I still see it coming towards us when I close my eyes. Thank goodness it wasn’t a vehicle. I don’t know what else I could do. There was no time to check the rear view mirror to see how close the car behind was following, no time to move anywhere. I don’t know what else I could have done. Should I have done anything different? Should I have let it hit my vehicle? I didn’t swerve, I just braked. It was totally instinctive.

5-Summer-0014

Other then that we had a great day, uneventful after that incident. Until I got home. Hungry, tired, and my neck is more then a little sore from all the driving. I warmed up some food for my husbands dinner, got a glass of water, dished up my plate. Put it in the microwave, had a drink of water.

6-Summer-0034

And then the power went out. Life…

Day, food, road, RUN, running, and more:

Hub caps, Highways, and power outages + Time