My Way of Living + Style

Gardening is from the heart…

Once upon a time I wrote a blog post about how hurt I was when a friend reprimanded me for calling my over 200 plants in containers a garden. “That’s not a garden,” she said. I didn’t agree then, and I still don’t agree. She might have had 5 acres of grass, with huge garden beds, compared to my stretch of patio, but I still consider mine a true garden. To me, and obviously many others that garden, any small container can hold a garden. What defines a garden? What makes one a gardener? Can we consider it a real garden when you walk not on the soil, but on concrete? If you don’t water with a hose, but with a plastic can, is it still gardening? If you don’t own pruners are you still a gardener? If it is only indoors, does that exclude it? Does one cherished plant on a windowsill, in a city apartment make you a gardener if you so wish to call yourself one? Yes, it does. Gardening is from the heart. It is defined by your rules, your choices, and your circumstances. And certainly not the whims of others. So garden as you wish, be it a small pot, or a large lot. For you are a gardener when you love plants in your heart. And we would have it no other way.

Blog, Garden, Inspiration, and more:

Gardening is from the heart… + Style