My Way of Living + Things

Garden Mistakes

My gardening mistakes seem to be expanding as rapidly as the water retention crystals that were in my soil mixture. The very soil that I used for transplanting most of my perennials. There are large clear chunks of jelly like substance laying on top of most of my containers. Because after I watered them, it snowed, and then it rained. A lot of rain. It looks like Alien spawn. At least my perennials won't get too dry.

That's what I get for using up the great bargain from late last summer. The water retention soil was a super deal, and I was too busy to go out and buy other soil. I mix all my own soil, using a mixture of coconut fiber, organic topsoil, perlite, sand, and now, water retention soil. The bright blue plastic bags of soil were taking up valuable space on my deck. And they had been there all late summer, through winter. It was time. And they were ugly, I can't have ugly in my garden, now can I?

There was another mistake that affected these poor long suffering perennials, I moved them outside into the open. And then it froze. After all, it was the end of February, it should be spring. This is BC right? Well apparently I am wrong, this is Alaska. Zone 0! We had snow and minus 6 C temperatures last week. Gardening mistakes, the garden centres love em.

Garden, Performance, and more:

Garden Mistakes + Things