My Way of Living + Light

My beloved plants, will you still love me if you are withering away in the sun?
4-2011 03 21_2944

I am finding out that many of the plants that I easily grew on my deck in pots, won’t flourish in the ground here, and I must ask each plant, will you still love me if you are withering away in the sun. I must decide before spring if I am bringing them up here, with over 150 plants safely tucked away in a friends garden, this is a big decision. To take a chance on whether or not they do well, or do I give away the very last of my beauties. The cull began this summer when I sorted, thought, and pondered which of my babies I should take, and which I should adopt out to a new homes. I have already given away over 100 plants, but this is a harsh, dry climate, and it doesn’t suffer water lovers well.

3-2011 03 21_2954

The ferns, oh the ferns… my little babies, with their sweet fronds that burst from the black soil in the first days of spring. You are my muse, your green shoots some of the first spring photos. I know that you don’t like hot and dry summers, but I simply can’t part with you yet. Will you survive, do I have enough shade? Hosta, you water hungry swaths of vivid green leaves, what am I to do? Will you survive in the shade, and can I commit to watering you every day when it’s hot? If I use grey water will I feel less guilty about my water consumption?

2-2011 03 25_2982

Bleeding Hearts, your golden leaves, and red stems are the very first sign that spring will come soon. But you require so much water, and the heat will make you wither. What do I do? Succulents, I know you will not suffer, you love the heat. Lewisia, with your jewel like flowers, you will thrive in this climate, and my collection of hen’s and chicks will increase greatly. But is it to be farewell to lobelia forever? Goodbye to my ferns? Hosta la vista hosta?

1-2011 03 25_2988

I have no idea, I just know that a water wise garden doesn’t include much of what I have right now. I am all for water consumption, and certainly won’t be wasting it on green grass, or purchasing any new water loving plants. But where do I draw the line, these are expensive well established plants, that might do well if I can care for them properly. Let me know what you think.

Blog, and more:

My beloved plants, will you still love me if you are withering away in the sun? + Light