My Way of Living + training

A Non- Celebrity's Celebrity Run Experience

One of those "Ondoyed" races a couple of months ago, the race promised a party atmosphere wherein runners would be dressing up as their favorite celebrities. So after doing a Saturday run, I had this impression that everyone would be wearing something.

I was seriously considering going as Coach Rio, if only under the notion that getting on his good side would afford me a glimpse into the sub-Piolo training program. The outfit was all set... ...

Stayin' Aliiiiiiiveeee... .

Then I realized if I would be racing this half- mary, the afro locks partnered with anticipated heat would not be a good mix...

So... .. hot.
So never mind. I'll just go against the grain and show up... . normal. I picked up PBA 09' finalist/the-world-is-my-playground hottie Vicky Ras of Succulence Unleashed on the way , she lives practically next door to me. Light banter revealed that she would be doing a 5k. Driving hazily across the chilly pre-dawn morning, I learnt that our love lives were both co...

Oops. I forgot this was a sports/fun blog. Juicy details available in e-book download form, you could email your orders at juicydetailsofgbmlovelife@gingerbreadrunning.com. Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, G-Cash and LBC Smart Padala now accepted. :P

A Shoutout Start
Once I got there, much to my chagrin (and admittedly, relief) I didn't see too many people dressed up as celebrities. Guess the shtick didn't fly. Good thing! Saw Timmy/ Kenkoy Runner and Jaymie/TBR on the way to the starting corral, and soon joined the usual Takbo.ph Kanto Boyz pace group. It would be Mark's final race as a single man (he's probably at the reception as I'm writing this), and I told him to "run like there's no tomorrow, because there ain't any", with the opening lines of Hadji Alejandro's "Panakip-Butas" suddenly blaring in my head for no apparent reason. ..

Girl... ikakasal ka nga ba... . Dinig ko'y kakasal ka buo nang isip mo... .

Okay that was weird. Why was it blaring in my head? Then I realized that the cheapo Mp3 player I have been using since my beloved Ipod got lost finally gave way. Poof. Gone. 3 months for 500 bucks.Hmm. Not bad. But GAK! That means I'll be running a race with no music for the first time. Oh nooo.

Who's gonna give me an Ipod for Christmas? :P
After what seemed like a 15 minute delay, and people talking to themselves on the faraway stage (I later learned the PA system conked out) we were finally off.

Out of my League
The first 3k was fun. Massively slimmed-down Takbo.ph celebrity Argow decided to pace with us a few, and come to think of it he actually started out faster than us. However, his fartleks to catch up as we approached Kalayaan flyover were a portent of things to come, and we soon lost him. At the rate he's going we may end up eating his dust in no time though. Original celebrity ninja dude Sam also got to hang with us for a bit as well, hell-bent on hitting his sub-2 hour 21k.

When the dust had settled, it was me and a rejuvenated Pat left to carry the fight. We were going through Ayala at an insane pace, so much to the point that this conversation had to take place :

GBM: Pat, bat ang bilis ata natin?
Pat: (smiles)
GBM: Um, yeah. Thanks Pat.

I had forgotten that I was pacing way out of my league here. When we got to hang for a bit with powerful Milo National Finalists Junrox/Tigerboy and Alfred/El Kyoshi , I knew that rarefied air was being breached here. Was biting off more than I could chew, no doubt about it. And when a 48:20 (beating my 10k PR by 13 seconds, imagine) came up on our 10k split as we brushed aside Kalayaan, it was virtually ensured that the frenetic pace would take its toll. And it did.

You're out of your league boy.

So you're a Fernando Zobel De Ayala Entourage Wannabe

Entering KM 15, I was all alone. And the fun was just starting. Good thing I saw my Takbo.ph friends along the way, that never fails to boost one's flagging spirits (not to mention tired feet). Out of nowhere I saw this European- looking guy zoom past me along with his coach. A quick look revealed that corporate mogul Fernando Zobel De Ayala was outracing me in one of my favorite distances. I tried to keep up, if only for the pride and zeal that comes with relative youth. For a while, I felt like I belonged. I was part of the Ayala Entourage. Alas, a 10k PR in a very tough half-mary course all but zapped my reserves. I had no choice but to lick my chops and accept that today, he was the better man. And off he went with his fancy coach, the driver,two yayas and a masseuse running at 5:10 pace.

All I ever wanted was to be part of the entourage... .

Of Pain, Plantars and Positive Splits

I have noticed that as of late, race directors have had the propensity to save the best for last, and that means putting the mighty Mckinley Hills towards the latter part of the race. By this time, I was gassed. A 75k week had rendered my shins and plantars very susceptible to um, pain. And it was showing. With no music to keep my mind off things, everything was being amplified by the nanosecond. By Km 18 I was limping around and I couldn't sprint the downhills anymore.

With about 2k to go I ran into Macky/ The Gleeman's Tale ,( one of the best writers out there IMHO) and by now it was a given that the race was going long. With one final burst of speed, we hit the 21k split at 1:51:05 on my 305, a new 21k PR for me. We then "jagged" to the finish line, much to the consternation of those who were oblivious to the excess distance and were sprinting like heck. Once again, my strategy of hanging with the big boys early and working off that lead paid dividends. Pat maintained his pace throughout and finished with an incredible 1:43, his best 21k finish if I'm not mistaken. Sam finally got his sub-2! And Tito Fernando must have finished in 1:47 or 1:48 by my rough estimate. Sub-Tito Fernando next time? (@,@)

The Aftermath
Overall, had no major problems with the race, except for the fact that the distance was in excess of 1.2k. I think race director Ian Alacar ran into more problems with the shorter distances. People were jumping up and down with the 5k turnaround snafu (they didn't know where to go). From what I heard through the grapevine, one of the earlier, faster runners knocked down the sign. And bedlam ensued afterwards. Tough break. Also heard 10k distance was only 9.70. Not sure if this is true though. I've ran excellent races under him though, so I know that he'll bounce back, no doubt about it.

When times are tough,blame Sideshow Bob.

Still pretty happy with my performance, the need for more training beckons. Next target : Sub- Tito Fernando!

Happy Holidays folks :)

Blog, HAPPY, life and running, race, RUN, running, Time, and more:

A Non- Celebrity's Celebrity Run Experience + training