My Way of Living + Words

How to package kitchen gifts

My Dreams vs. reality

1-Recovered Autosave1

Now that I live so close to my family, it’s easy to bring a little something from my kitchen as a gift each time I visit. That’s the easy part, it’s the packaging that I struggled with, it’s dreams vs. reality when I am heading out the door. I have Martha Stewart dreams on a frugal girl’s budget, and never enough time it seems.

2-MBD Nov 2012 Birds Nest-0544

Let’s just say that it bothers me to pay for those cute tin foil containers when I know a perfectly good mason jar, and a brown paper bag is more practical, and fun to play with. It’s just when it comes down to the wire, the foil container is easier to shove in the tote bag when your husband is waiting at the front door jingling his keys.

3-MBD Nov 2012 Birds Nest-0575

Dreams: I have the best intentions, but it seems never enough time left over to package up the left overs. I needed something that was easy and fast, not to mention really cute to carry those cookies in.

4-MBD Nov 2012 Birds Nest-0582

After too many times of running around looking for what I needed at the last minute, I decided to gather together some easy to use coordinating supplies that I could use to wrap, package, and contain almost any kitchen gift I created.

5-MBD Nov 2012 Birds Nest-0597

Reality: Brown paper bags, butchers twine, tags in coordinating colors, matching pen to write little notes, mini clothespins, painters paper on a roll, [love that stuff, use it for everything creative] mason jars, and some zip lock bags.

6-MBD Nov 2012 Birds Nest-0616

Done like dinner: It’s so easy now to package up some cookies, cake, soup, or buns, and we all know that if it looks good, it tastes better. I keep it all in a drawer near the kitchen, and it’s simple to grab what I need, and put it together at the last minute.

7-MBD Nov 2012 Birds Nest-0618

Now when I give a gift from my kitchen, it not only tastes great, but it looks great.

family, Life, RUN, running, and more:

How to package kitchen gifts + Words