My Way of Living + travel

An Old Friend's Open Letter To GBM

Dear GBM,

Ever since I have rendered service to you that fateful afternoon sometime 2008, we have been inseparable. Remember? You even brought me to the office and were bragging to your friends about your "fancy GPS satellite watch". I chuckle at the time that you got really mad at that slobbering excuse of a dog you have ( I'm referring to the fat one. the noisy small one with a name resembling a movie star wasn't there yet)

It's been a heck of a ride these past couple of years. I used to be kilig when we were still new, you were so sweet back then. You would bring me everywhere, wearing me at every single possible occasion. I gleamed with pride when you would defend me over my better pedigreed sister, that bratty, unreliable 405.

I appreciate everything you have given to me, and I'd like to think that I was able to make you
feel that I was always there for you when you needed me the most. We were chums. I thought would last forever. I have had the distinct pleasure of seeing you as a tubby 205 lb slow dude, up to that time when you were obsessed with doing a Sub-Piolow and we would go at it in training for hours on end. Those were good times. Damn good times. And now you're into this multisport thing. I'm so proud! Sigh. I admit I'm jealous at times of that arrogant Strada on your bike, she thinks she's all that. I was hoping you would get that quick release for Christmas so I could experience it, at least once in my lifetime.

Perhaps the best part about it was being able to travel the entire country and even the world with you. I haven't quite soaked in the enormity of our career- the slopes of Sagada, the chilly hills of Baguio, stops in Dumaguete, Cebu, Bacolod, Cagayan, Davao, Boracay, Corregidor, Iloilo, I lose count. You even brought me all the way to Malaysia and Hong Kong, aweeesoooome!

And who could forget BDM 102? You knew I could only last for 8 or 9 hours. But knowing how important that was for you, I dug down deep and stretched it until 13 hours. That made me so happy, knowing how proud you were of me. I also saw you hold hands with some pretty but cranky girl, how you could manage to flirt with someone after 12 hours of running is beyond me.

Sob.As much as I wouldn't want to admit it, sadly age has really caught up with me. I'm sorry to have been really unreliable as of late, but it's something beyond my control. It's been causing me a lot of mental and mechanical anguish. I really, REALLY apologize for what happened during your big Malaysia race. I knew you were already stressed out with that stupid bike, and I failed you :( Believe me, having my buttons just wear out and my strap fall out moments before your race is simply mortifying for me :( I felt so bad that you had to hold me in your tired hands during both run legs. I felt like dying inside. :(

I'm broken :(
Thus, as much as it breaks my heart, I firmly believe that now is the time to say goodbye. Yes old friend, relegate me to the junk bin. My time has come, the glory has faded already. I will be eternally grateful about the time that you tried selling me on Takbo.ph when you needed cash but deleted the ad within hours. You decided to stick with me to the very end. =,)

You can move on, no doubt. That athletic 310xt kid seems more suited to your needs now. As for me, I would be honored to take my place wherever you see it fit. I'd like to think I have served you well, even to the very end. Parting is such sweet sorrow, but indeed, nothing lasts forever.

Goodbye old friend, thanks for the memories. I'll just be here if you need me.

Regards,

G. 305

HAPPY, life and running, race, RUN, running, Time, training, and more:

An Old Friend's Open Letter To GBM + travel