My Way of Living + Visual

How to beat late summer rain with inspired indoor photo shoots
MBD Blog late summer 3

Last year, which was our first summer in the land of big skies, we went through a drought from the end of June, until the middle of October, the crispy, dry days made it easier to get outside and take photos. This summer we have had a unusual amount of rain for this climate, and there is a rash of summer storms coming up, which means my DSLR camera is not going out for a walk with me until it’s all over.

MBD Blog late summer 4

To keep my creative drive going, I am turning to indoor still life shots temporarily to fill the void. Gathering up items that I can use, faded sunflowers, wispy petals still hanging on, bird’s nests, feathers found drifting on the summer grass. Rusty metal gardening tools, and craggy rocks, moss covered branches, and pine cones. Garden twine, rough weathered wood, old tarnished silver spoons, pearl buttons.

MBD Blog mid summer

Anything that speaks to me of late summer, and it’s move into autumn. I’ve painted a piece of board to be my background, dark zinc like, tones, with ghosting of water rings, but you could use anything for a background. Burlap sacks, painters cloth, faded boards, antique tables, I’ve even used the seat of my antique chair for a impromptu photo shoot. But you can use anything that calls to you, shop your yard, and house for items that might catch the light, or add a touch of glamour to a otherwise gloomy day.

MBD blog late summer 2

Positioned by the windows to catch the available light, a reflector will cast more light back onto my shots. It’s making the most of the late summer’s golden light, despite the rain. Not having to water will free up some time to play around with post processing, and then who knows what will happen.
There is bound to be the occasional sunny break, so I will make sure to get outside and capture the sparkling water drops that adorn the trees.
It may be raining, but that doesn’t have to stop me from doing what I love.

MBD about page 5

Blogging, Boot, and more:

How to beat late summer rain with inspired indoor photo shoots + Visual