My Way of Living + Things

You should have seen it last week…

As gardeners we seem to be our own worst critics. And I am sure if anyone commented on our garden the way we do ourselves, we would be rightly upset. Touring our garden with fellow gardeners we always seem to either point out the flaws, or try to hide them from prying eyes. What is with us? Every garden has good and bad points, but we seem to always apologize for some imperfection with a" you should have seen it yesterday, or last week, or even LAST year, it was REALLY, REALLY beautiful last year!"
I know that I am one of the worst, I really don't like to show off anything during the hot months of summer. The tattered and battered perennials faded, like a over the hill pair of gardening gloves. The burnt, and the dried out, the forgotten, and the fried. I stand in front of half alive plants hoping that no one notices them. Nothing to see here folks, move on. Sometimes I try distractions," Oh look over there!! A CROW." Whooooeee, that was close, you almost saw my slug eaten hosta. And since gardens are collections of plants that all perform under different conditions, and bloom at different times, well…there are ebbs and flows.
As for me, I am going to show off my garden warts and all from now on. You are all gardeners, and you know what reality is. Just don't look over there please. NO, OH NO, NOT THERE!
You should have seen it last week!

Garden, Performance, and more:

You should have seen it last week… + Things