My Way of Living + Time

Fling it or fix it? My camera is biting the dust

We live in a disposable world, where

1-Hydrangea-0694

everything has a shelf life. Most gadgets are not built to last but that doesn’t mean that you should just throw them away when they break down… or does it?

Should I fix my camera

or buy another? What do
you think?

Camera’s have a shelf life, just like any other gadget, they are all built to last for a certain length of time. I take really good care of my camera, having had it for 4 years now, it has repaid me by performing extremely well, it’s earned it’s keep.

2-Hydrangea-0693

Despite my most careful babying of my camera the shutter release button is starting to stick. In the near future this will mean no focusing, and no more picture taking.

3-Hydrangea-0696

There are fixes available on the internet, but I hesitate [for good reason] to drop in a spoonful of alcohol into my battery compartment, turn it upside down, and wait until it dries out. There are so many things that can go wrong with that, I won’t even bother to list them.

4-Hydrangea-0701

I had planned on purchasing a new higher grade camera in the future, but I am not quite ready to put out the money without doing more research.

5-Hydrangea-0706

I can send it off to the manufacturer, [warranty long over] and they will fix it for me, but the costs are estimated to start around $250. So I am asking should I fix it, or fling it? That $250 repair bill won’t make the camera last forever, it’s about a 1/4 of the cost of a newer camera. Do I keep the camera, get it fixed, and hope it will last a few more years, or do I purchase a new one?

6-Hydrangea-0714

If you were in my lens, what would you do? Focusing on my options…

Day, HOPE, and more:

Fling it or fix it? My camera is biting the dust + Time