My Way of Living + running

( First of Two Parts) Never, Ever Quit : Confessions of a 50k Ultramarathon Virgin

Confession time. I have never completed a full marathon before. Not even close. As a newbie, my ambition has led me to so many different avenues that I would never, ever, would have considered seven months ago. At the time, a 5k would have been a major coup. Heck, I was 30 lbs. overweight. I needed to DO something. Some months and minor successes later, here I am on the cusp of a potential life experience. I signed on for the Botak 50k ultramarathon. Yeah, crazy guy. Jumping to an ultra without doing a full mary. Not too many people knew this.So the secret's out. But hey, we only live once right? I wanted to do Milo but I'm out on official business on the 5th. So this would have been my last shot at testing my limits for the next couple of months. So why would a guy who has done 35k max try to pull this off? Why would you thrown caution to the wind when people say it cannot be done? Let us see how the story unravels.

What chain of events led to this?

A place of no limits

I teach a module to students called "The Drive To Succeed", a class that handles how to go past any obstacles from a marketing and sales management perspective. It tackles how the human mind can overrule any obstacle, be it physical or mental. It's a good ploy to get students past paralyzing stage fright when presenting. It teaches them to be hotwired to succeed.To be stubborn, resilient, and driven when common sense would dictate that it cannot be done. Now, I'm thinking, can these theories be harnessed to pull of the impossible? Can I use these powers of the mind and make the big jump?

The 100k flirtation

As crazy as running a 50k was, my crazy side was ignited after attending the Botak CLP . Watching slides of Botak founder Cesar Guarin traverse insane distances led me to openly declare my intention to try and pull it off. Wrong idea. Adjectives to describe the reactions from friends and family -disdain, disgust, wariness, exasperation, anger. But hey, that's why they're called friends and family. They care for you and your well-being. They argue with you to death and roast you. But in the end, even if they don't agree with you, you could still be assured of their unwavering support. That's the beauty of it. So okay, it's a stretch. A big one. But I told myself that if I were still alive at the 50k mark, if I could so much as walk, I'll go for it. As it turns out, running distances that you usually take a car for was much harder than I could conceivably imagine.

(to be continued)

50k, confessions, family, marathon, RUN, and more:

( First of Two Parts) Never, Ever Quit : Confessions of a 50k Ultramarathon Virgin + running