My Way of Living + Light

Facing the dragon

Not many of us relish confrontation, arguments, and in your face events. Gardeners tend to be a peaceful sort of sharing person, so I was rather shocked to have the Dragon turn on me last year at our local community gardens, and I have not returned until lately.
You can read about it here if you like, The good the bad and the wormy.
Last year a friend and I had been strolling through the public community gardens quietly taking a few macro shots with our cameras. It was a beautiful sunny day, and we had stopped to talk to a few gardeners who welcomed us with open hearts.
We had a nice conversation with the gardener whom we will call the Dragon, before she abruptly turned on us. Suddenly accusing us of taking photos in order to help out those who were vandalizing and stealing plants. Nothing could be further from the truth, and her yelling certainly ruined our visit. It’s a almost pastoral setting, near the water, with so many blooms a photographer’s heart is overflowing. But I had avoided returning in case I ran into her spitting and screaming voice again.
Taking my heart in my hands, my courage on my sleeve, along with a trusty sword [camera] and the knowledge that she did not have the authority to insist we leave, we returned.
All along the outskirts I nervously shot flowers carefully and quietly, worried about that domineering voice that would carry forth. As we got closer to the Dragons Den, [her garden plot] I finally breathed a sigh of relief. The lair was empty! No Dragon. We were safe, and could enjoy the rest of our visit. And her famous plant that caused all the trouble, the “Maggi” plant was missing. Maybe someone had come and stolen it as she claimed we were going to do, or maybe it had just succumbed to winter kill… who knows.
The Dragon was nothing but a bad worm, and had gone away.

Blog, Garden, and more:

Facing the dragon + Light