My Way of Living + Style

Last of the Lilacs
_MG_0066

We gardeners love to see the first buds of the Lilacs as they start to open. Breathing deep of that sweet fragrance. If you are fortunate you will be enjoying a arm full of them as cut flowers either from your garden, or from a generous friends. I cherish every moment that they are in bloom, and miss them when they are gone. I have visions of our future farm, complete with a fruit orchard, and masses of lilac trees. Every color that will grow up in the Okanagan, from white to dark purple, to picotte magenta. They will have to replace the cherries that we are used to coloring up the spring on this wet coast.

_MG_0075

Due to the possibility of disease affecting the over 20 million dollar cherry industry, it is illegal to grow ornamental cherries up there. And while I will miss those gorgeous blooms in the spring, I am hoping that masses of lilacs will make up for it.

_MG_0068

So for now, I am treasuring my glimpses of the blossoms that grow down here, while looking forward to what will be blooming up there in our future. Jane

Garden, Inspiration, and more:

Last of the Lilacs + Style